Sunday 4 November 2012

Media Studies so far...


Media Studies Review

What have I learned from media studies?

-Media studies has tough me many new skills in order to break down a piece media (i.e. video clip etc) and examine different ways that the producers, director, costume people have used lighting and camera, sound, colour and outfit to enhance/ add to the scene.

For example, in the Titanic clip that we viewed in one of our lessons, rose wears white clothes and gloves; indicating that she is pure and better that the lower classes, she is also shown in the light which again is another indication of her importance and purity, wealth etc.

My strengths:

This has been my first school term studying media studies; I have found media to be very challenging and demanding at times however I have managed to get my work due in on time and I also have tried to stay on top of my work.

I would say that my strongest point in media would be the analysation of video clip and deciphering the hidden messages (what certain things mean/ the context that they are presented) I have some very strong ideas when analysing a piece of media, and I would most definitely say this is what I am strongest at!

My weakness's:

As I am new to studying media, I have found it difficult at times to understand important key terms i.e. iconography, semiotics, iconic signs, indexical signs etc. I have also found it quite difficult to grasp the task of essay writing, when writing my essays I have found it rather difficult to include how the key terms effect the overall product in a piece of media, this is because I was struggling to understand all of the different terminology that we are required to learn in order to progress further in my media work. Blogging is another thing that I really need to improve on as I am not blogging regularly, which is making more work for myself that is unnecessary.

Targets to improve?

Things that I am going to try extremely hard to improve on is my essay writing, to do this I am going to make a great effort to do as many practice essays and hand them to the teacher to get them marked and then read their feedback and learn from the things that I perhaps have done wrong and things that I did not include. Another thing I am going to do is revise my key terminology, this will very much come in handy to help to improve my essay writing. I am also going to try and blog more regularly instead of doing it in big chunks because I think it will lift a big weight off of my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment